Thursday, September 17, 2009

Osaka Clubbin

Weekends in Japan have been pretty eventful so far. This past saturday, on the suggestion of one of our local nihonjin students, we assembled a small gaijin army (group of 20 white people) and headed to Pure Night Club in Osaka. Clubbing in Osaka was an interesting experience. Being that it is in Japan and it was a saturday night, the club was extremely crowded. After paying the cover charge which was pretty steep, you then are given a cup for nomihodai (all you can drink). The main staples on the drink menu were similar to the U.S; gin and tonic, tequila 'sunrice', and rum and coke, however they also had other miscellaneuous options.

The atmosphere of the club itself was pretty cool as it had caves built into the side of the wall that you could sit down in, billiards, and even a vip room hidden behind a fake bookcase. The music there varied greatly, ranging from snoop-a-loop to offspring. Since most of the music was in English, the majority of clubgoers had no idea what they were singing along too. The funniest example of this was when everyone started jammin out to Ludacris', "Move Bitch Get Out The Way." All in all it was a great night. I even practiced my level 1 japanese a little bit on the dance floor. Spitting out phrases like atsui desu ne (its hot isnt it), genki desu ka (hows it going), and beeru wa oishii desu yo (this beer is delicious). Which was fun until the japanese girls started speaking back and I had to resort to nodding and saying honto (really?) to keep the conversation flowing.

We got there around 11am and ended up dancing until 5am when the club finally closed. After finally emerging from the club at daybreak I attempted to make my way home. The initial trip to osaka involved 2 train transfers and mile long walk, so consequently the return trip home had some bumps. After finally making it to the right train station, I was delighted to see a sign on the platform that listed makino (my end destination). Apparently in Japan though, they have several different kinds of trains; including express and limited express which stop at different places. I did not know this.. So I was very surprised when my train whizzed past my station at 80 mph (or however many kilometers). A learning experience to say the least.

My next post will detail my 4 day camping trip to the biggest lake in Japan. Apparently they have a beach there imported from Australia and lots of spots to bbq. Should be fun..

2 comments: